Monday, September 17, 2012

This ain't "The Real Housewives of Tuscaloosa County..."

If you are a SAHM then you have probably encountered this more than once.  You meet someone new and they ask you what you do.  Immediately the anxiety hits.  "What if they think I'm lazy? What if they think I'm uneducated? What if they think I'm spoiled?..." At least that's what runs through my head before I spout out that I am a stay-at-home mom.  Then using humor, as I often do in awkward situations, I try to play down the importance of  (what I believe is) my God ordained role. 

Noticing my awkwardness, and trying to make me feel better about what I do, they immediately respond with, "Oh no, don't say that - I would love to be a SAHM," or "Oh pish posh, do you know how many people would KILL to stay home and not go to work everyday?" And I know they mean well by saying this, I know no one means to insult me, and it's probably my fault anyway because if I stated my role with more passion, more conviction maybe they would see I really don't mean to sound apologetic for my "current occupational direction."

But let me get something straight.  This ain't The Real Housewives of Tuscaloosa County.  I don't go flitting off to the North River Yacht Club.  I don't go shopping everyday.  In fact, when I DO go shopping it is for groceries or for clothing for my child.  I don't have a box seat at the stadium, and I don't have a nanny to watch my child.  I cook, I clean, I wipe snot and boogers and poop (nine times out of ten none of these fluids are mine) on a daily basis.  I pick up toys and wipe away tears.  I loose my patience and apologize daily to my three year old.  We read Bible stories together and practice memorizing Bible verses.  I attempt to teach my child numbers, colors and letters.  I practice writing capital letters with her. I fix my child's dinner plate and make sure she eats before I feed myself.  Sometimes, I even share my favorite food with her (for those of you that know me, you know this is a BIG deal).  I bathe her before I bathe myself.  I perform a dramatic reading of Llama Llama Red Pajama practically every night. Then I tuck my daughter into bed and muster up what is left of my fizzling energy to spend a quality hour or two (if we're lucky) with my husband.

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head....

So from now on I am going to practice stating my occupation with pride, passion and conviction. Because God placed me here for a reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment